Requires iOS 7.0 or later. Compatible with iPhone, iPad, and iPod touch.2.5 / 5 (User Rating)
"Very helpful for children with Autism... assisted my patients with reducing communication breakdowns and frustration due to limited language skills" (Children's Specialized Hospital)
"Its versatility lends itself to satisfying many communication needs to users of a variety of levels" (Assistive Technology Specialist)
Scene & Heard is an award winning augmentative communication aid. Use visual scenes for context based communication or create new learning aids with interactive features. Whether you are a parent, therapist or carer, the easy-to-use interface will help you import photos and allocate actions to any scene. Personalise each scene with fun and interactive options including audio messages, video clips and Widgit symbols. Use scene links to transition to a new scene and tell a story within the app.
Now with the added feature to draw your own scene using the in-app drawing/painting tool.
Plus! Scene & Heard now lets you create custom communication books to share and print! With easy to use tabs and all the features of a real book, this feature makes Scene & Heard a truly universal communication aid. High tech and low tech AAC – all in one!
An all-new task prompting feature was introduced, so you can now create pages giving clear step by step instructions for any task! Use video clips or audio to explain each step, and once complete, the app will move onto the next hotspot. A step-timer has also been built in for actions (such as brushing teeth) that need to be undertaken for a set length of time.
Schedule a task using the new visual schedule display. Set a page to appear at a given time, and the app will not only provide a notification when the scene is due to appear: it will also put it into a smart, easy to read calendar, so that you know what’s happening and when.
Scene & Heard is designed to cater for a range of needs, starting with simple single message based communication to sophisticated interlinking scenes with a range of interactive features.
You can use it as an AAC (augmentative and alternative communication) tool for communicating basic needs or more complex ideas, or as an interactive and flexible learning tool, the choice is yours!
Key features of Scene & Heard:
- Build scenes and vocabulary on the go. Take photos with your iPad, import photos from your photo library or draw your own scene.
- Record your own voice messages for scenes or use the inbuilt text to speech voice
- Create or import short video files
- Choose and use over 12000 engaging Widgit symbols to use to support communication
- Create hotspots (tagging an element on the scene) and allocate actions, so that the picture is truly interactive
- Link scenes to create a sequence of events, support narrative or to reinforce cause and effect concepts
- Try out some of the pre-built scenes in the scene library, and then easily create your own scenes
- Easy to use photo library to find your scenes
- Create communication books
- Share your scene on Facebook or Twitter
- Print or draw your scene
- Flexible, easy and fun
- Use one or 2 switches using a TherapyBox Switch Box or RJ Cooper switch interface
- Use the whole screen as a switch in "touch anywhere" mode. Uses scanning to highlight the active areas and the person using the app can tap anywhere to make their choice
Some ideas clinicians and parents have had so far:
- single message communication aid
- communication passports
- step-by-step videos and instructions for completing daily tasks
- use in the community,e.g. ordering coffee
- creating therapy tools
- teaching basic concepts such as cause/effect
- video diaries
- home / school liaison
- social stories
- narrative support
- interactive education games
- interactive email messages to family/talking video postcards